25 January 2009

the bigger the hair the closer to God



Thank you Miss Texas for the best quote of the 2009 Miss America pageant.  Every contestant got to introduce herself and say a little something about her state at the beginning of the program.  Miss Texas said this in Spanish, then repeated it in English.  Amazing.

Gosh I love beauty pageants.  And all reality shows about beauty pageants.  Today I wore big hair to church in honor of her fabulous quote.  OK well that's a lie.  I never need an excuse to tease the snot out of my hair and would have done it anyways without having heard the quote.  Certainly one of the best habits I picked up while going to school in Utah.  Not many people in Oregon tease their hair.  But they should.

I thought Miss Texas should have won for her comment, but she didn't even make top 15.  There's no bullshitting about how Miss America is really about scholarships with her.  Beauty pageants are about singing selections from bad musicals with the occasional tap dance, sequins, horrible show moms, and big hair.  I also liked when Miss Indiana won, started sobbing, and was completely speechless when the host asked her to say something.  I mean completely speechless.  Insert hands fluttering about the face.  What poise.
Watching Miss America 2009 Saturday night while eating the crab and shrimp stuffed portobello mushroom I had picked up at Whole Foods on my way home from work was the perfect end to my week.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow, that was weird. I clicked on your blog to see your update, and I saw a girl I used to know in HS. HaHa! As I recall, she wasn't the brightest back then either...

Kristine said...

Remember when we spent Valentine's Day watching the Westminster Dog Show? I don't know why this entry just gave me that flashback, but it did. :)

Honestly. You are absolutely the only person on earth who can latch onto something as horrendously awful as Utah hair, and make it seem cool! What's that about? And don't give me that line about confidence and attitude, because I'm not buying it. You have a secret you just won't share...

Emily said...

this post made me laugh! big hair rocks!

Rachel F. said...

Still so crushed I forgot to tivo it.. But I'm glad I can always count on you to fill me in on Miss America highlights.