11 January 2009

three little letters

C.P.A. They will soon(ish) be mine. I have officially passed all four sections of the exam. I studied tolerably well (for me) for the first three exams I took in August, and felt pretty confident after leaving the exams.

Now the last one, FAR (Financial Accounting and Reporting, for the layperson) I knew was going to be a beast. So I left it for last, giving myself almost three months to study for it when the others had gotten about a week each. I don't like studying, and I've found I REALLY don't like studying while working. There were about 90 review videos for FAR, and I watched 12 of them before taking the exam. I felt awful during the exam, and left the test center knowing I had failed. There's $200 I'll never get back.

But earlier this week, my dad sent the following text: "Can you say 76?" Really? I passed?! 'Tis the season for Christmas miracles. FYI, you must receive a 75 to pass. So I passed this by the skin of my teeth. A big thank you to BYU for a fabulous education.

I could not stop smiling the entire day. This feels like such a huge accomplishment. Not exactly fulfilling childhood dreams, but it's OK for dreams to change as you grow up. That's what Dr. Laura says.

2 comments:

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

Congratulations! You're such a genius and so amazing! Hooray for you!

Rachel F. said...

Oh I just love you for quoting Dr. Laura. Yes, dreams can change. And people don't "lose themselves" and "forget their dream" as they get older, their dream just changes! And that's ok.

I am so unbearably proud of you for passing the CPA exam. Completely impressed. And inspired. It is indeed a big life accomplishment, one that you will own for the rest of your life. I hope you treated yourself somehow.