14 February 2010

a valentine's day how-to

I really love Valentine's Day. Pink and red together, plus candy, plus celebrating all the people you love-- fabulous! After seeing this post on Design Mom, I decided to make flower pins for some of my pdx girlfriends.

I started with 2 pieces of ribbon, each a yard long, and sewed them together with two lines of basting stitches along one side (shiny sides out). I used hot pink/brown and light pink/grey as my color combos. But my imagination is already running wild for the next time I do this craft project.
Then I scrunched the ribbon up really tight.
The next step was to wind and glue the ribbon together in a little circle (flower). The directions suggested sewing or gluing the flower, so I of course chose the hot glue gun method over the hand-sewing method. After that (not pictured) I glued a circle of felt on the bottome to cover all the messiness, then glued the flower onto a clip. You could glue them onto a clip or headband or anything you want!
Then you have super cute flower pin Valentines to deliver to your friends and girls you visit teach and what not.
They can wear them in their hair as shown, or clip it onto a necklace or purse or shirt. (Or politely say "thank you" and never wear it anywhere, there are no rules here.)
I also made giant chocolate chip cookies for the boys, because I knew for sure they would not like the flower pins. I think the rubber stamp I found to make the Valentine's cards is so darling, there will probably be many repeats of this design in the future.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

5 comments:

Me said...

i just gave up this year, but you did a good job!

JonJon said...

That cookie was delicious. I was hoping there would be a post about your experience in reliefstood.

Lauren said...

So cute Courtney! Now how did all the girls get "yes" and the boys "maybe so"?? :)

Emily said...

Courtney! I love my hair flower! I am planning my entire outfit around it tomorrow :)

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

oh my gosh--you're so cute and domestic! love both the flowers and cookies!