01 October 2009

stay-cation birthday week day four

This morning I made the drive to the coast for a nice long walk on Cannon Beach. It was delightful. Although typically a fan of lots of color, I can't help but love the Oregon coast, even (especially) on overcast days. The sky is grey, the water is grey, the sand is grey, and the houses are grey. I think it's gorgeous.
I love walks on the beach. And Haystack Rock makes for some of the most beautiful coastline in the world. If I went to Cannon Beach every time and never visited another Oregon coastal town for the rest of my life I wouldn't even care.
Some of you might think this is too many layers for a successful day at the beach, but growing up in Oregon gives you a different expectation for beach trips.
Here are some of my wonderful gifts: flowers, dishes, gift cards, books, earrings, hair clips, and oh yes, a bump it. Which I am planning to wear tomorrow, and many other days. My parents bought me this, and it should be arriving at my apartment sometime next week. I am really excited for it to come, and I am taking suggestions for my first project. And yes, the irony of getting a sewing machine for the birthday that now rounds my age up to 30 rather than down to 20 has been pointed out to me.
Tonight my roommate Megan and I went to the opera. We saw "La Boheme" by Puccini, which originally premiered in 1896. It was fabulous, and I can officially say I am a fan of the opera. Also, I did not know until I got there tonight, that this opera was the inspiration for "Rent," which I saw for the second time earlier this year. The plots are very similar, and it's fun to see the different takes on the same story line. Meg and I were definitely some of the youngest people there, again, not doing myself much of a service in seeming young. :)

P.S. I am not for real having a panic attack about being "old" at 25, but I think 25 does sound much older than any age I've been before. Like, if someone were to ask me if I consider myself an adult, I might say yes now. But then I'd probably have to think of another name for my blog. Hmmm.

4 comments:

Kirstin said...

I think I'll have to take a solo beach trip while you're at work next Friday. I'll be in Portland in less than a week!

Me said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! i'm sorry i missed your party :( but i'm glad you had an awesome time.

Kristine said...

Holy crap, you're right. 25 does round up to 30! I've been 25 for 3 months now, and that hadn't occurred to me yet...

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

Yay a sewing machine! We can do Friendship Quilts and trade patches and stuff now!