18 October 2009

have you ever seen a cider press?

This weekend Diana planned a cider-making and home-cooked dinner night at her parents' cute house down in Corvallis. It was such a great idea and we all had a good time. When do you ever get the chance to make cider?
Don't these apples look beautiful? I think the water droplets look quite artistic. :) There is no end to the fabulous produce available to Oregon residents.
Some of the apples we actually picked from Diana's parents' yard, and the rest her dad bought from an orchard.
The cider we made was so delicious. Also, I wore my plaid shirt which was perfect for a fall-themed activity in the country! Megan and I have some in our fridge, but if you come over we probably won't offer any to you.
Christina, Jon, and I were in charge of transferring the finished cider into containers. We got a little sticky in the process, and by the end of the night I think everyone was a little sticky. Jon could really uncomfortably explain to you other ways to get kind of sticky.
Jessie and Di posing with the cider press. It's really such a cool toy, and at the top of the list of things I want if I ever end up living in the country. Although, I guess you could plant apple trees in your backyard even in the suburbs, right?
I like walking through nature with Christina because every time I see some plant life I like, she can tell me exactly what it is. Every. Single. Time. This Euonymus alatus could very well have been the burning bush Moses saw in the bible.

All in all, another successful weekend!

3 comments:

stina6195 said...

How are we supposed to keep up this run of fantastic weekends?! I don't know if I will be satisfied with dinner and a movie ever again.

PS Please tell me when my knowledge of botanical names of plants becomes a deal breaker friendship wise...sometimes it's like an uncontrollable tick.

JonJon said...

Well, when a man loves a woman....

Seriously, we've been having some killer weekends.

Kirstin said...

That looks like so much fun! For how long does cider stay good? Any chance some of it will make it to Thanksgiving?