06 September 2009

hiking timp

I never managed to hike Mt Timpanogos (a real Utah classic) during school, but finally did over Labor Day weekend with my fmily. It's 15 miles round trip, 4,500 vertical feet, and took us 9.5 hours from start to finish. The scenery was gorgeous and it was such a great hike, but I was completely exhausted at the end of the day.
These moose were so close to the hiking trail, and seemed totally unaffecetd by all the people (there were a lot of hikers on the trail). I wouldn't have had to walk very far to pet this guy (less than 10 feet away), but I hear moose are not as friendly as they look and getting closer would probably have been a very bad idea. I also got to see mountain goats, mice, chipmunks, midgets and hawks during the hike-- so cool.
The wildflowers along the trail were beautiful. I am definitely not used to the Utah landscape having so much color (living in Oregon makes me snotty that way) and it was so refreshing. (L to R: Daniel, Shondel, me, Kirstin)
Kirstin and me with a fabulous view of Utah valley below. It was kind of chilly, which made the weather perfect for hiking. But I am hoping for much sunnier weather tomorrow so we can enjoy boating on Utah Lake.
Daniel and me, with a view from the other side of the top. I love the mountains in Utah.

My whole fam at the peak of Timp. It's like really high.

5 comments:

Me said...

a moose can derail a train. isnt that scary?

i want to do that hike someday, i just never have the time when i'm in utah.

Diana said...

Looks like you're having a great time. andmissing the torrential rain we've been having. Can't wait until you're back!!

emilymakin said...

I love the pictures and just have to ask, midgets??

Emily said...

glad that you made it to the top!! it's been a while since i hiked timp, but i remember it being a hard one!

JonJon said...

Yeah, isn't the proper term "little people"??