09 August 2009

sometimes, my life is fun all the time

This weekend was the ward campout. It started Thursday afternoon, but I didn't head down until after work on Friday. It was a lot of fun, and the only chance I've had to go camping this summer. After a fun evening and restful sleep (there was apparently some terrible animal noise that went on for a solid hour that no one in my tent heard), Emily and I left early to attend our 6th belly dancing class through PCC. We are starting to learn combinations, and it's exciting to have moves I could actually perform, if needed. :)
Beautiful McIver state park, on the Clackamas river.We played this amazing game called kiss and tackle and it was like high impact spin the bottle. It was so fun, and I can't believe I lived my entire BYU career without knowing about that game. One person sits in the middle, and calls out a number (all the guys have a number) and a letter (all the girls have a letter). If it's a girl in the middle, then the guy is trying to kiss the girl on the face (she pretty much just sits there). The other girl is trying to kiss the guy on the face before he can kiss the girl in the middle. It gets really intense. I look kind of bored in this pic, but I spent most of the time laughing really hard.
Jon wins for the most awkward photo of the evening. Here, Susan is losing this round, and Thorn doesn't get a kiss.
Saturday afternoon, some friends and I went to the Street of Dreams, Portland's annual home show. This year they held it downtown in the Pearl District for the very first time. I loved exploring the penthouses, as I know it is the only time in my life I will be allowed at the top of those buildings. The designers did fascinating things with the homes, some I loved and some I didn't care for at all. I consistently loved the art on the walls, and the cool wallpapers and other textured walls used commonly throughout the apartments. I consistently did not love the bathroom and kitchen sinks and fixtures, as they all reminded me of the bathrooms and kitchens in IKEA (not something you spend a couple million on). I wonder if the designs had something to do with the fact that all of the apartments were eco friendly and energy efficient, which is very cool. I would really, really love to live downtown in an amazing apartment like that, but I certainly can't afford it while I'm young. And, if (big if) I could ever afford one when I'm older, it will no longer be practical for me to live downtown. Oh to have a trust fund. :)
Saturday night I went to an awesome concert at the Doug Fir lounge. Meet my newest obsession: The Portland Cello Project. They're seriously amazing. They mix classical and contemporary music, working to bring the cello into new venues. This concert focused on covering 80s hit, and dancing and singing along to MJ, Madonna, ABBA, and others was amazing (they also did fab renditions of JT and Britney). Each song had a different guest singer from other local bands, and it kind of felt like watching really quality karaoke. Needless to say I had an amazing time, and will be going to more of their shows in the future.
This man opened the show, singing JT, and he was hilarious. His dancing was crazy, and I sort of wished he could perform all night.

My friend Jon and I went earlier than the rest of our friends to pick up tickets. In a tent just across from the venue, there was an erotic arts festival. (Just one google search told me I should NOT try to post a picture for all of you to see.) After almost accidentally buying tickets to the wrong show, we got a good hour of people watching before the others came. You guys, the people coming in and out of this tent were to die for. A man in leather chaps and a leather thong, and several covered in body paint that I'm sure continued past their little coverings were my favorite. I kind of got the impression there might have been some live art exhibits as well. I cannot think of another friend I would have more thoroughly enjoyed that experience with.

I love weekends when the stars align, and you truly love and enjoy every minute of your life!

7 comments:

Emily said...

Love it, Love it, Love it!!

SO glad that I was able to experience all of it with you!!

JonJon said...

I love that Thorn is just kind of sitting there in the background nonchalantly observing as I attack Susan.

Unknown said...

What a fun weekend! I've also never heard of this kiss and tackle game, but it sounds like a blast.

Sometimes it's such a bummer that I'm out here in Provo, because I miss all of the fun events and weekend activities in Portland. I'm glad you get to enjoy them though!

Mormon Bachelor Pad said...

Tackle Kissing! I like it.

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

that last one sounds a little sketchy! I didn't know your obsession w/ cellos--that's awesome. Portland is beautiful. Oh, and we played that kissing game in high school, but I forget what we called it. It was always a winner (and apparently still is!)

Rachel F. said...

I'll take one of each please. Thank you!!

Patty Fingers said...

that game was outlawed in a ward of mine as several people came to church with severe rugburns and one girl actually got accidentally kissed on the lips and wasn't to happy bout it.