09 February 2009

stupid stupid people

So the other night I was having a chat with friends, and someone brought up knowing a person who spoke Cling-on (sp?).  Like from Star trek.  Apparently it's a whole language you can learn.  We were all in agreement about how absurd that is, but Nic felt especially heated about the subject.  This is what he had to say (the best I can do from memory):

"What a waste of time.  You could have used that time to learn a real language.  Even if you already know a second language like Spanish, you could learn a third language.  Like Greek, then you could travel to Greece.  You could have gone to Greece.  But no.  You chose to go to space."

Yes.  Thank you.

Then tonight, as I was leaving the parking garage after work, the girl working the booth accidentally rang me up at 99 cents instead of $9.95 (don't I wish).  So she charged me the full amount, then gave me change for the 99 cents.  After quite awhile trying to count change, she handed me a quarter and four nickels.  "Umm, this is only forty-five cents."  So after some more confusion, I end up helping her count out 99 cents.  Good practice for being a mom when my children are learning to count perhaps?  In the end I got three quarters and five nickels.  She seemed very resistant to handing over some dimes.  I informed her she could give me four pennies instead of the last nickel, but she was fine with me having the extra penny.  Unreal.

3 comments:

Emily said...

that comment by Nic was pretty much the highlight of the night!!!

lindsay and mark said...

So I read your post and was inspired to do a little research:

Evidently, there is an actual Klingon Language Institute(http://www.kli.org/) where you can go and take classes.

What a freak show. Do you think Roberto speaks Klingon?

Qapla' (That's goodbye in Klingon...)

Diana said...

Oh I how love Nic's comments!