13 March 2011

sunday dinner

I rarely have time to cook during the week this time of year, so rather than making a number of small meals throughout the week, I put all of my energy into one big meal, usually on Sunday.

This time the cooking was for my visiting teachees, and we had such a lovely time. Today's dinner option was maybe overly ambitious, as I spent about five hours making chipotle chicken tortilla soup (not all active involvement, but that's still a loooong process). But Oh. My. Gosh. this soup was delicious. Seriously go look up that recipe and try it yourself. I can always count on Epicurious to come through with some good recipes.
Here I am boiling a whole chicken (who needs the convenience of frozen chicken breasts-- not me) and making my own chicken stock for the base of the soup, obv. I thought it might be fun to make my own stock because I've never tried it before. I had no idea how much better it would taste. I've been missing out, and will most certainly be trying to do this more often (in that other life where I magically have more free time). The soup was delicious dressed with tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, and a lime wedge. I didn't do avocado tonight, but think it would be a lovely addition next time. One friend brought gluten-free rolls and another brought kale. It was a perfectly healthy, perfectly delicious, perfectly Portland dinner party.

4 comments:

Rachel F. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel F. said...

I've always wondered about homemade chicken stock too! Was it really better? Did it take forever? Do you think you could make a big batch and save it? I really need to try that one of these days. One of these post 4-18 days...

Courtney Kay said...

It really was better-- you can definitely taste the frsh herbs and vegetables that simmer with the chicken. The stock has to cook for about three hours, but the only labor intensive part was chopping vegetables before, then periodically skimming foam off the top of the pot.

The recipe says the stock will save for about three days in the refrigerator. But I also know you can make a bunch of stock and can it, which would probably be a really worthwhile project, as would me canning anything.

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

Looks delicious! I'm impressed w/ your devotion to the recipe--I don't think I'll ever make my own chicken stock, though I'm sure it's extremely superior. Yum!