04 February 2011

may we please discuss this?

So late Sunday night I arrived at the Denver airport and took a shuttle to the rental car place. Once I was all checked in and found my assigned parking spot, this beauty was waiting for me: Seriously? This aptly named "Cube" is literally a cube. I like a lot of the boxy cars coming out these days, but I do not care for this one. It's so bad, right? It makes me wish rental cars had a special rental sign in the windows, so no one passing by would think I maybe actually purchased this vehicle.
The weather in Colorado Springs has been totally nuts, alongside the rest of the country. We spent two days without temperatures above zero degrees. Then one day, a pipe burst at the client site. There was water gushing from the ceiling, and we could smell gas. We packed up our things and headed to lunch. After lunch it had become clear the busted pipe was going to be an all day project, so we decided to work from the hotel. Within an hour of being back at the hotel, a pipe burst there! This time I left my computer in my room at the sound of the fire alarm, so we couldn't do any work for the afternoon. I called my manager to keep her in the loop, then set off on an adventure.
We checked out the visitors center and cadet chapel at the Airforce Academy. This campus is gorgeous and huge, and it made me homesick for BYU's campus, also nestled in the foothills of the Rockies. The security guard at the entrance to the campus was very intimidating and all business. The visitors center had a lot of cool things to look at, an informational video which I enjoyed thoroughly, and some great displays on falconry. I am very impressed by the commitment each of the students must make to graduate from the academy.

Am I crazy to be hopeful for better weather next week in Kansas City??

2 comments:

Emily said...

yay! i'm so happy to see blog posts from you again :)

enjoy kansas city! i'll miss seeing you this weekend and going to dear valley

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

love that you got out of work!