22 December 2008

well at least it's a longer vacation

Working in Colorado Springs was great. And it was so fun to stay the weekend in Denver to go skiing with my dad and bro. I'll have very few ski days this year (and in the years to come) so I'm going to relish them all. Good thing because it was super windy and below zero all day at Copper Mountain. I bought one of those ugly black face masks. They're awful, I know, but it was so much warmer I will probably continue to wear it even in warmer skiing conditions. You now officially cannot tell if I'm a man or a woman when I'm in my ski gear.

Sunday night I was supposed to fly back to Portland, then head to Utah on Wednesday (Christmas Eve) for about a week. All flights to Portland were cancelled that day because the weather was so atrocious. The next flight Alaska Airlines could get me on was the 25th. Really? Spending Christmas alone in Denver is an acceptable alternative to you? They could get me on a flight to Salt Lake the next day through one of their partners, because of course they don't fly through there themselves. I called my corporate travel number and they pretty totally unwilling to help. Lovely. So I walked over to the Southwest counter and bought a ticket to go straight to Salt Lake that afternoon. I hope every airline in the US goes bankrupt (well, again, and actually shut down this time) and only Southwest remains. Of course, the government will probably bail them out so it's only a pipe dream.


My dad was on the same flight so luckily I had someone to talk to. The plane was delayed from bad weather elsewhere. When we finally got on the plane three hours late, they realized the engine was broken and they had to unload and find us a new plane. Of course the plane is broken. You may be wondering, "Do you have anything to do other than complain about bad weather and crappy traveling?" No. No I don't. Trying to deal with messed up travel plans consumes my entire life right now. I need to do a serious cleanse before leaving Utah on the 30th so I can shake this bad energy.


Now I find myself happily, safely in Utah a few days early. I have two pairs of business casual pants, four business casual tops, one pair of jeans, two cardigans, pink Juicy pants, a Britney t-shirt, and ski clothes. The presents I bought my fam are back in Portland. As well as many items I would've liked to pack. I didn't even do a good job packing for Colorado because I was so rushed for time. This will be a good exercise for me in letting go of things that are not within my control. And focusing on the really important aspects of Christmas (like family time over decent holiday outfits properly accessorized).


1 comment:

Rachel F. said...

Yeah, thats a bit of a drag to only have a few items with you... And what a crazy journey that has been when you consider your trip in total! But yay for Christmas and families and being in Utah. Hope it's been good!