25 October 2008

i got a masters degree for this?



So I went on my very first Inventory Observation for work.  It's a classic assignment for a first year.  They're the reason I'm not allowed to be out of town for both Christmas and New Year's.  (Yes, I am in fact scheduled for an IO at 6am on January 1st while the rest of the firm is given a pad day off.)
My first IO assignment was for a cement plant in Vancouver, WA.  Before going, I got an e-mail telling me that I needed steel-toed shoes for safety requirements.  Umm, what?  How do I even process that information?  Where do you
 buy steel-toed shoes?  After some googling and phones calls (slow afternoon at work) I found the cheapest available option at Fred Meyer.  $35 for a men's size 8 1/2 that I definitely charged through to the firm.
I show up in Vancouver, expecting an hour and a half of counting rocks before I'm done.  4 1/2 hours, many piles of rocks, 2 silos, and 17 cement trucks later, I was all done.  And ready to spend several more hours documenting the experience of course.  It was freezing cold and raining and I was stuck wearing too-big ugly shoes, a hard hat, safety goggles, and a bright orange vest.  Hott.


My favorite part of the day was climbing to the top of the silo to drop a tape measure down and figure out how far up the cement 
(or flysash) goes.  There was this super narrow metal ladder (enclosed in a cage to prevent falling all the way off) that I had to climb up in three sections.  They gave me special grip gloves so I didn't slip and fall due to the rain and large shoes.  And I still have a muddy pair of steel toed shoes in the trunk of my car because I have no idea what to do with them.  Amazing.

5 comments:

lindsay and mark said...

Please, for heaven's sake, post a photo of you wearing your men's steel-toed boots. Please!!

Courtney Kay said...

Absolutely not.

Rachel F. said...

So glad you recorded this story! I really think it's a shame that you didn't ask for a photo with those workmen. It would've made their stories about the audit so much better. :-)

lindsay and mark said...

Fine! You leave me no choice but to muster something up in my imagination. And just so you know... it's not pretty!

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

haha. I agree w/ Lindsay in that we definitely need a pic.