26 November 2011

happy thanksgiving

I would like to begin by saying, although I failed to take any photos that were not of food, the number one thing I am grateful for this Thanksgiving weekend is my family. In fact, this afternoon, my mom, sis, and I helped with a casual wedding luncheon for one of my mother's friends from her ward, whom she also grew up with. The friend's parents were there, who were dear friends of my grandparents in St. Louis, and it was so lovely to talk about my mom's parents and hear their memories of them. I wish they were still here to celebrate holidays with us, I miss them.
I was in charge of setting the table. This picture kind of drives me crazy, because I didn't realize how crookedly I had lined up those candles. Oh well, I'm still happy with the way the table turned out. Also, our decision to start with butternut squash soup this year was such a great idea!

We had briefly discussed simplifying the menu this year, but then decided to go ahead and make every single thing that sounded delicious to us. Good call.


One the menu: butternut squash soup, roast turkey, stuffing, sweet potato soufle, roasted brussel sprouts, green beans wrapped in bacon, mashed potatoes and gravy, green salad, fresh cranberry sauce, pumpkin chiffon pie, and pecan pie.

The bacon wrapped green beans were a new recipe this year, courteuosy of Our Best Bites. I'm never disappointed in their recipes, and this was no exception. I thought they were delicious and beautiful, and really very easy to make.


We often try to make one new thing alongside our old favorites, and sometimes the new dish becomes a staple (cue sweet potato soufle from a few years ago that hasn't left our Thanksgiving bounty since). I hope these green beans come back next year.

Also, I love putting seasonal fruit in water. The options are endless, it's totally beautiful, and totally easy. And totally has fewer calories than punch (we did have bubbly as well, it's just more festive to have something fizzy to drink).

No comments: